Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Long Way to Perth, Kalgoorlie to Perth via Newdegate

Last weekend, Phil and I took a couple extra days to go see the new grandbaby in Newdegate and then continued to Perth to see the rest of the rellies.
It is a long drive but very interesting and we saw parts of the Wheatbelt that we had not seen before.  We drove west on the Great Eastern Highway and then turned south just past the Yellowdine roadhouse onto a sandy track called the Emu Fence Road.  I love this road because you have wild sand plain country to the east of the road and bits of wheat fields on the west side of the road.  We drove through some sparse rain and were under clouds the whole way.  The Emu Fence Road turns into the Woolicutty Soak Road and makes a bit of a jog west towards Hyden.  Just past Wave Rock at Hyden we turn south again towards Newdegate.  We spent the night at my stepdaughters farm where we experienced the biggest hail storm that I have ever seen.  When we left in the morning we left them in a state of destruction.  The hail clogged up their gutters and the subsequent rainfall came into the house and pulled the ceiling down in the lounge room.  They were on generator power because high winds pulled a power pole down.
From Newdegate we drove west to Lake Grace and then north through Kulin, Corrigin, Quairading and York.  I had always wanted to go to York.  I had heard that it was beautiful and historic.  The photos show the beautiful buildings on the main street.  But I found the main street of Corrigin a much nicer and more friendly place.  Perhaps York is just too close to Perth.  Corrigin is a lively farming town where real working class people frequent.  Everyone seemed to know each other.  I found the Craft and Arts Shop where the local crafters meet and share a cuppa.  I bought a couple really nice hand crocheted items.  Surprisingly I didn't find any shops in York that interested me.
In Perth we had a great time visiting everyone and had a great outing to Kings Park and Fremantle on the Sunday.  It was a magnificent winter day.
Hope you enjoy the following photos:

 This sign posted at the Yellowdine Roadhouse really cracked me up.
View from the top of the world after we turned onto the Emu Fence Road.

Here you can see the fingers of wheat fields to the west of the road. 

See, it really is called the Emu Fence Road!


Hail Storm in Newdegate

Main street in York with the hills (The coastal range) in the background.

How charming is this sign!
Great hotel in York.
York Town Hall

I forgot how beautiful the view is of Perth from Kings Park.

Eucalyptus lined avenue into Kings Park.
I really love these trees.  They are called Lemon scented gums, Eucalyptus citriodora.
View of Downtown Perth, Convention Centre and the foreshore along the Swan River.
Lunch in Fremantle with Freddy the freeloader eyeing my lunch.  I'm having my favorite grilled sardines and greek salad.  Yum!
The Fremantle esplanade is a great place to enjoy a Sunday morning with the entire family.  These are some healthy and majestic Norfolk Island Pines and you can see the famous Esplanade Hotel in the background.

2 comments:

  1. Loved the pix. More photos of native plants, please.

    Robair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freddy the Freeloader is cute. A similar looking Freddy was eyeing up my Key Lime Pie on the trip! And I can't believe that hail! Also, I'm so proud of you for writing all these great posts! I love reading your blog!!!! Love you.

    ReplyDelete