Saturday, May 1, 2010

Paula's Sweet Chilli Sauce

I'm thinking one of the good things about having a blog is that I can put my best recipes on here.  The one's that people keep asking me for.  Instead of asking everytime and me having to write it out on a scrap of paper, you can just get it here any time.

My stepson has asked for another jar of my chilli sauce so it reminded me that everyone likes this recipe.

Phil used to judge the local flower show.  His payment over the years as mystery judge was to receive a jar of chilli sauce from one of the organizers.  I had never had this kind of chilli sauce before.  It is good on cold meats and hamburgers.  I also put it on my chillie mussels when I cook them.  In the US Chillie sauce is more often a hot meat sauce that we put on hotdogs.  This is completely different. I set out to try to copy the flower show sauce.  I am sure that mine is probably not even close but it tastes just as good.  Mine works out to be in the medium to medium-hot range.  You can put in fewer chillies if you want it less spicey.

Ingredients:
16 hot chillies (2 inch in length)  adjust to desired heat
1 regular sized tin of diced tomatoes (1 3/4 cups)
one large onion
1 large apple, cored
1/4 cup sultanas or raisins
8 cloves of garlic
2cups of vinegar (cider vinegar or malt vinegar is best)
2 cups of sugar
1/4 tsp each of allspice, cloves, coriander, celery seed
1 tsp each of paprika and dried mustard
salt and pepper
squirt of soy sauce
squirt of fish sauce

I blend all the chunky ingredients in a blender in batches.  Then put the lot in a stock kettle.  Bring to a boil and put on the hood fan as the fumes will be potent.  Let simmer until the desired thickness.  I bottle it in sterilized jars and vacuum seal them.  This will last at least a year, if you don't eat it all first.

1 comment:

  1. How about telling the blogosphere how you craft your interesting herbal vinegars, too?

    Robair

    ReplyDelete